Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mango & coconut flognarde


I like to organise and plan; I really love doing it.

Pretty much everything I do day-to-day I have pre-planned the night before; sometimes even the week before. What we eat each week from breakfast to dinner or even sweets I have organised a week earlier. I have even planned holidays that we never actually go on; I like looking at countries and wondering if I went there where would I stay and what would I do.

Sometimes though, when something unexpected happens, like receiving mangoes from your mother-in-law, I will do something on the fly. I hadn't planned on making a mango & coconut flognarde, in fact, it wasn't even a recipe I had bookmarked.

Finding myself with some unexpected mangoes I searched for a recipe to make sure they did not go to waste. I narrowed it down to three and submitted them to my husband and brother for a vote. This won by default (sorry coconut rice pudding, I shall make you another day).


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 6mins.
cooking time: 40mins.
total: 46mins.

taste: 3.5/5. I made the following modifications:
  • 45g plain flour
  • 15g self raising flour
  • 1/4tsp cardamom
It has that almost custard-like texture of a clafoutis which is really lovely with the soft, refreshing mango chunks that dissolve in your mouth. I didn't think it tasted like coconut that much and would perhaps put a tablespoon or so of dessicated coconut in it, and perhaps a touch more cardamom as well to get a little more flavour in it.

would I make it again: Yes - with some modifications. Really, easy, light dessert or even breakfast.

recipe: http://www.flagrantedelicia.com/en/desserts-puddings-and-souffles/un-rendez-vous-tropical/

1 comment:

  1. Aww...you beat me on this one , I'm going to make it soon I hope :)

    ReplyDelete